In the Chehalis Basin, flooding is a fact of life. If you’ve experienced floods in your home or business, you know how hard it can be to recover, or to plan for the next one.
The Chehalis Basin Strategy provides resources and assistance so you can protect yourself from flooding.
How Can I Protect Myself?
The three most important things you can do about flooding:
1. Know when a flood is coming.
Sign up for the Chehalis River Basin Flood Warning System to stay aware and prepared by receiving flood alerts, emergency updates, and live-time flood inundation maps during an emergency.
2. Protect your property.
The Chehalis Basin Strategy and its partners can help you protect your home or business. Get in touch for a free consultation to:
- Discuss what you can do now to protect your property, including building elevations and retrofits like flood vent installations.
- Discuss how to floodproof your property while making repairs or improvements.
- Schedule a property visit to review your situation and alternative flood protection measures.
- Learn more about sources of funding you may be eligible for to protect your building and valuable items from flood damage.
Plus: Check out these resources to learn more about what you can do on your own:
- Be Aware, Be Prepared is a guide to help people in the Chehalis Basin protect themselves and their property from flood damage. You will learn where to find flood forecasts and information about flood insurance and protection measures.
- Preparing a Household Flood Response Plan has many practical tips for securing your buildings and contents before a flood.
3. Carry flood insurance.
Flood insurance protects you and your family financially if a flood damages your home, business, or belongings. If you have questions or need advice about the National Flood Insurance Program, including insurance rates, our team can help.
Still Need Help?
If you’re worried about flooding, but you aren’t sure if your needs or questions fit into these categories and you need further assistance, fill out this help request form. We’ll schedule a time to talk through your concerns and help you identify ways to reduce your risk.